Flavored simple syrup is an excellent way to improve the flavour of your favourite drinks and desserts, and making simple syrup at home couldn’t be easier. Cranberry simple syrup, tart and bright, brightens everything from my morning cup of tea to some of my favourite classic cocktails. Cranberry simple syrup is simple to make and ideal for the holiday season, requiring only three ingredients.
Simple syrup is made from sugar dissolved in water. Sugar and water are mixed in a 1:1 ratio in traditional simple syrup. Thin simple syrup has a 2:1 water-to-sugar ratio and is less sweet and viscous. Thick simple syrup is 2 parts sugar to 1 part water and has a sweeter flavour, but it may crystallize. You can change the dynamics of your simple syrup by using different sugars. A good standard simple syrup is granulated white sugar, but you can also use demerara sugar, honey, or coconut sugar to suit your tastes.
- 4 oz White Sugar
- 4 oz Water
- 6 oz Fresh Cranberries
* Each of these Spirits or Liqueurs used can be substituted for your favourite brand.
- Add all of the ingredients into a pot on the stove top.
- Heat until the cranberries begin to pop while stirring occasionally.
- Turn the heat down and allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Strain out the solid and place into a bottle for later use.