In the book “New Craft of the Cocktail,” written by Dale Degreoff, the Yellow Bird Cocktail is cited as an example of an original creation. Between the first edition of Craft of the Cocktail and the revised edition, there are some interesting differences. Dale recommends that the new edition be written using Mount Gay Eclipse Rum. On the other hand, we combined the Appleton Reserve 8 with the Galiano Vanilla and Dry Curacao, which resulted in a flavour that was slightly sweet with hints of orange and allowed the rum to take centre stage. This cocktail is a wonderful choice for a digestif to enjoy after dinner. Give the Yellow Bird Cocktail a shot, and then report back to me with your thoughts.
- 2 oz Appleton Estate 8 Year Reserve Rum *
- .75 oz Pierre Ferrand Dry Orange Curaçao *
- .5 oz Galliano Vanilla *
- .75 oz Lime Juice
* Each of these Spirits or Liqueurs used can be substituted for your favourite brand.
- Add all of the ingredients to the shaker glass.
- Shake with ice for 10-15 seconds.
- Pour into a Martini glass.
- Garnish with a Lime twist.