Rye whisky is the main ingredient in the Classic Manhattan Cocktail. During the 1880s, this drink was widely considered to be among the most popular in the world. It was named after the Manhattan Bar in New York City, which was the location where it was first created. Warmth and spice come from the rye, sweetness and complexity come from the sweet vermouth and bitters, and all three come together in this cocktail. Give it a go, and then report back to me with your thoughts.
- 2 oz Rittenhouse – Straight Rye Whiskey *
- 1 oz Dillon's Sweet Vermouth *
- 2 Dashes Angostura Bitters
* Each of these Spirits or Liqueurs used can be substituted for your favourite brand.
- Add all of the ingredients to a stirring vessel.
- Stir for 30 seconds or until desired dilution is reached.
- Pour into a coupe.
- Garnish with a brandied cherry.