Orgeat (pronounced "ohr-zhat") syrup is an almond-flavoured syrup commonly used in classic and tropical cocktails. The milky syrup is made with almonds, sugar, and orange flower water. It is primarily used in drinks with and without alcohol and is prized for its sweet, nutty flavour. In cooking, a syrup or sirup is a condiment that is a thick, viscous liquid comprising primarily of a mixture of sugar in water, containing a large number of melted sugars but displaying little inclination to deposit crystals. Its texture is similar to that of molasses. The viscosity arises from the various hydrogen bonds between the liquefied sugar, which contains many hydroxyl (OH) groups. Syrups can be made by melting sugar in water or by lowering naturally sweet juices such as cane juice, sorghum juice, maple sap, or agave nectar. Corn syrup is made from corn starch utilizing an enzymatic process that converts it to sugars.
- 8 oz Almonds
- 12 oz Sugar
- 10 oz Water
- 1 tsp Orange Flower Water
- 1 oz Brandy
- Add water and sugar to sauce pan and heat until clear.10 oz Water, 12 oz Sugar
- Chop almonds into small bits and add to sugar syrup.8 oz Almonds
- Simmer for three minutes and gradually increase temperature until mixture boils.
- Remove from Heat and add Brandy and Orange Flower water to mixture.1 oz Brandy, 1 tsp Orange Flower Water
- Let sit for 3-8 hours.
- Strain using two layers of cheese cloth or a nut milk bag, and bottle.
Serving: 1tsp | Calories: 14kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1mg | Potassium: 9mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 1IU | Calcium: 3mg | Iron: 1mg