According to their official website, Grand Marnier’s first distillery was built in 1827 by Jean Baptiste Lapostolle in the small city of Neauphle-le-Château. His granddaughter Julia married Louis-Alexandre Marnier in 1876. After four years, the Marniers released a signature cognac with Caribbean bitter orange.
César Ritz (1850–1918) reportedly came up with the name “Grand Marnier” for Marnier-Lapostolle, who helped him purchase and establish the Hotel Ritz Paris. During the extravagant La Belle Époque, Grand Marnier was served in the Ritz Hotel as a supplement to the Savoy Hotel. The brand has released anniversary editions of its well-known liqueur lines and became popular in the United States in the 1980s.
On 15 March 2016, the Campari Group announced a friendly takeover offer for Société des Produits Marnier Lapostolle S.A., the owner of Grand Marnier.